Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Some more Shantaram

OK, before people accuse me of being obsessed with this book, I should say that I am doing that only because many people were visiting my blog looking for quotes from Shantaram, and I thought that I will add a few more to the ones I already had here

Also, although I liked the book and even enjoyed it a *lot* it is not by far the best book I have read. Whew! :-)

So without any further ado, here you go:

You can never tell what people have inside them, until you start taking it away

A dream is a place where a wish and a fear meet. When the wish and fear are exactly the same, we call the dream a nightmare.


Silence is the tortured mans revenge


If fate doesn't make you laugh, you just don't get the joke

Men reveal what they think when they look away, and what they feel when they hesitate. With women, it’s the other way around.

News is about what people do. Gossip is about how they enjoyed doing it.

Nothing grieves more deeply or pathetically than one half of a great love that isn’t meant to be.

There’s no meanness too spiteful or too cruel, when we hate someone for all the wrong reasons.

Every virtuous act has some dark secret in its heart; every risk we take contains a mystery that can’t be solved.

Guilt is the hilt of the knife that we use on ourselves, and love is often the blade; but it’s worry that keeps the knife sharp; and worry that gets most of us, in the end.

At first, when we truly love someone, our greatest fear is that the loved one will stop loving us. What we should fear and dread instead is that we won’t stop loving them, even after they are dead and gone.

7 Comments:

Blogger vcr said...

I have read both your posts and still can't make any sense of this!! am I dumb or is this really balderdash?

8:40 PM  
Blogger tantrik-porter said...

there are a few possibilities:
1) this is a bit like the emperor's new clothes :D and you are the innocent kid. now, I am not sure if I want to describe you as innocent :D
a kid, hmm maybe
2) you are old and cynical and can't see the beauty and the passion of this individual
3) you are a cybrog and a product of the evil empire. as punishment, I will drink all your polish vodka :D

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for these quotes..too lazy to write them down my self:).Its definitly a good read. Cheers buddy keep up the good work

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My book's all dog-eared and marked through out with the hope of typing most of these some day. I find half the stuff I was gona type here...Thanks.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This book is beautiful. The author's choice of words, analogies and metaphors make it an entertaining read to anyone who remotely appreciate the power of the language but what truly makes the book a treasure worth cherishing are the philosophies, the simplistic beauty he sees in people and the optimism he conveys even after the worst of adversities!

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

calm down tantrik. perhaps vcr hasn't seen the preceding post, and this one doesn't specifically say its a collection of quotes, and is more set out like a poem. maybe he's just confused at the lack of a thread between what look like random statements.

anyway, nice work on the quotes. unbelievable book

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you say that Shantaram is not by far the best book that you have read. what is the best book that you have read then?

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home